Under general supervision of the General Counsel, will provide administrative support at the CA Corporate Office and to the Legal Department, including scheduling appointments and meetings, answering phones, photocopying, filing, preparing expense reports, word processing, contract and document administration, completing, organizing and maintaining department files, managing insurance certificates, corporate records, and intellectual property filings, among other related responsibilities.
- Provides general administrative support to in-house attorneys on a daily basis, including answering and screening phone calls, making travel arrangements, preparing expense reports, opening mail, scanning documents and saving them to the legal drive.
- Handle garnishment orders and respond to subpoenas.
- Able to read, understand, and summarize demand letters, lawsuit complaints, letters from outside counsel and our insurance carriers regarding our cases.
- Able to proficiently use the company’s real estate transaction management system.
- Organize the Legal Department Google Drive including all case files and court documents.
- Manage and maintain the Legal Report, which includes organization of active litigation and pre-litigation matters.
- Maintain company contracts database and spreadsheet, including drafting the spreadsheet, scanning and saving contracts to database, monitoring renewal notifications, and working with various departments/managers to obtain and track contracts.
- Maintain corporate books and responsible for corporate filings for our various business entities.
- Assist legal department with managing litigation, including communicating with outside counsel and real estate agents via phone and email, and electronically file court documents with California Superior Court.
- Able to read and interpret the underlying purpose of contractual agreements, and have basic knowledge of contract terminology and provisions.
- Handle the company’s insurance renewals/applications, and work closely with our insurance broker with understanding insurance coverage issues.
- Work with employees of all levels within the organization, including executive team.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- 6+ months of legal assistant, contract management, or other legal experience at a law firm or in-house legal department.
- High School Diploma is required; Undergraduate Degree from accredited college or university is strongly preferred. Paralegal certificate is also preferred.
- Must have knowledge of general office procedures and demonstrate excellent organizational and computer skills specifically in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Demonstrate ability to multi-task and work at a fast pace; ability to be flexible and adapt to a rapidly changing work environment.
- Proven strong communication skills – interpersonal, presentation and written.
- Proven ability to handle complex assignments using considerable judgment and initiative while following through on projects and commitments with speed and efficiency.
- Demonstrate ability to maintain cooperative, diplomatic working relationships with co-workers & supervisors.
- Complete projects under tight deadlines even when there are competing requirements and changes in assignments.
- Respect and maintain the rights and privacy of staff and confidential case matters.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Legal Assistant must be able to bend, stoop, stand, and sit for various lengths of time. They must be able to lift and carry items up to 20 lbs.
This is primarily a sedentary office classification and employees work in an office with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances.
The Legal Assistant must be able to multi-task various projects at once and work well under pressure and tight deadlines with a professional demeanor.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Salary Range: $21-35/hour